Saturday, July 17, 2010

social networking sucks. ohai.

So my mother came in and told me, you know your white bow? Yes, what about it? You shouldn't wear it so much. Why? Well, you know we're Chinese... Oh.

Yeah, white is associated with death in Chinese culture. What is odd is that it's associated with purity and innocence in Western society.

Anyway, the conversation continued: Chinese people don't like it. Well that's all cool, I won't wear it in China. No...not just China, to Chinese people's homes. Oh. Alright.


I've decided that social networking sucks. More on that some other time. I wonder how much bandwidth I will be able to use being an angsty, culture-confused teen. Oh the joys.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was black? Black clothes during Chinese New Year is a major no-no.

    But then Chinese funerals are SUPER complicated. Certain members of the family wear black, some wear white, and some wear blue. Some wear red bands around their upper arms. It's all v confusing. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ehh, China. WAY too much history there...few thousand years worth. Australia's only got a few hundred.

    ReplyDelete