Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's in a name?

That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

I love Romeo and Juliet to death (haha, I'm so funny) and especially the adaption with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. But while Shakespeare's point is valid, I do think names play a big part in the world.

There's a big difference between calling someone 'Charlie' and calling someone 'Charles'. The first one immediately sounds more casual and friendly. People instantly form their impressions based on names. For example, when I think of a name like...Gerard, I imagine someone sort of dark-ish and mysterious. Which is why vampires usually have cool names such as Angel and Drusilla and etc.

There has been a big push for more original names, hence celebrity kids being called 'Apple', 'Moon Unit', 'Kal-El Coppola' (Kudos for the Superman reference), and...'Princess Tiaamii'.

I recently hosted a kiddy party where I work, and I swear the only normal name there was Cynthia. Every one of the kids had one of those 'unique' names. Which is awesome, but there is a fine line between 'unique' and 'pretentious and lame'.

This ramble was mostly just to explain my blog's name - 'girl anachronism'. Firstly, it's a song by the Dresden Dolls. They're pretty amazing.

An anachronism is an error in chronology, especially putting something (object, person, idea, custom, technology, whatever) in the wrong time period. So this song is basically wishing that she'd been born in a different time, and that she's always out of place. Which I (and most people probably) can relate to.

Also, I really dislike Macbeth. Just putting it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment